Recovering from Identity Theft

If someone stole your identity, act fast. Fast action can help reduce the damage identity theft can cause.

What should I do if a thief uses my information?

Step 1: Place an initial fraud alert on your three credit reports

  • Call any one of the three credit reporting That company must tell the other two.

Fraud departments of the credit reporting companies:

>    Equifax


>    Experian


>    Transunion

1-800-680- 7289

Step 2: Order your credit reports

  • Call all three credit reporting companies and order your credit report from Identity theft victims can get the reports for free.
  • You might know that some of your accounts are affected by identity Contact those accounts now. Talk to someone in the fraud department of the company. Then write the company a letter.

Step 3: Create an Identity Theft Report

Submit a complaint to the FTC. You can call or do it online.

  • By phone: Call 1-877-438-4338 (1-866-653-4261 TTY)

>     talk to a counselor. The counselor will ask questions to gather information about your complaint

>    ask the counselor to email you a link so you can print your complaint. Your completed complaint is called the

“Identity Theft Affidavit”

>     go online to save or print your Identity Theft Affidavit.

  • Online: Go to gov/complaint

>     Type your information into the online form, following the prompts on every screen.

>     Review all the information you typed

>     Click the button to submit your complaint. Your submitted complaint is called an “Identity Theft Affidavit”

>     Save the complaint reference number

>     Click the link to save the Identity Theft Affidavit to your computer

>     Print your Identity Theft Affidavit. Keep it in a safe place.

  • File a police Take your FTC Identity Theft Affidavit with you

>     Get a copy of the police report or the number of the police report

  • Attach your FTC Identity Theft Affidavit to your police That is your Identity Theft Report. Keep it in a safe place.


September 2012   /    Federal Trade Commission  /