Project Lifesaver…Bringing loved ones home safely and peace of mind to families and caregivers
Benzie Senior Resources and Benzie County Sheriff’s Department are teaming up to offer Project Lifesaver™ to Benzie County residents 60 years old and older.
What is Project Lifesaver ™?
Project Lifesaver ™ is a system of personnel, training and equipment providing an effective way to keep individuals who might wander safe. Project Lifesaver’s mission is to use state of the art technology to assist in the location and recovery of persons diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, Dementia or other cognitive disorders and return them safely to their caregivers.
How does Project Lifesaver work?
Rescue teams from the Benzie County Sheriff’s Department are using radio technology to bring this effective life-saving system to our area. People who are part of the Project Lifesaver program wear a personalized waterproof wristband that emits a tracking signal. When caregivers notify the Benzie County Sheriff’s Department that the person is missing, a search and rescue team responds in the wanderer’s area and starts searching with the mobile locator tracking system.
Who is eligible and what are the responsibilities?
- Live in Benzie County full-time and be of 60 years old and older
- Be diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease or other related dementia disorders
- The participant has shown a tendency to wander
- Fill out a short application form
- Caregivers need to conduct daily battery/transmitter tests and record the results on a monthly inspection sheet.
- Caregivers will be contacted each month by Benzie Senior Resources staff to arrange a date, and time to come out for the battery and wristband replacement.
What is the cost of the program?
We are using a monthly income sliding scale fee to help supplement the costs. The actual cost will vary from $0 to a 10% discount.
Please Call 231-525-0600